Having a powerful elevator speech is a must have for job seekers in today’s job market. In this column I frequently discuss how job seekers can benefit from applying the tools used by entrepreneurs to jump start their career search. A powerful elevator speech, which is commonly used by small business entrepreneurs, can help you in your career search marketing efforts.
Six Reasons You Need a Powerful Elevator Speech:
1. Powerful Networking Tool – Where are 80% of jobs found today? Most jobs are found in the hidden job market. How do you tap into the hidden job market? The best way to do this is to network. And the number one networking tool is the elevator speech.
2. Takes the Stress out of Networking – This may sound like a contradiction in terms. However, a well crafted elevator speech becomes your ready to go introduction that you can use anytime you network. Since you prepare it well in advance and practice it, you can focus on enjoying yourself in networking situations rather than stressing about what to say when someone asks, “What do you do?”
3. Forces you to Know Yourself – By going through the process of developing an elevator speech you will think about ‘who you are’, ‘what you do’ and ‘what you want others to know about you’. And by going through this exercise you will gain a much better understanding of what you are trying to achieve by networking in the first place.
4. Heightens your Credibility – A well prepared elevator speech will enable you to present yourself in a more professional, self-confident manner so that others will view you as a worthwhile acquaintance and someone they can trust.
5. Works Like a Cover Letter – Just as a carefully written cover letter will increase the chances of your resume being read, your elevator speech will make others want to know more about you and what you have to offer.
6. Prepares you for Interviews – Remember the one interview question you must be able to answer? “So, tell me about yourself.” Your elevator speech provides the framework for answering this question so you won’t be tempted to ramble.
Your elevator speech can be your best friend in the job search. It will prepare you for those impromptu meetings, employer interviews and allow thoughtful introspection as you discover passion in your life’s work. For more on this topic, I highly recommend Christopher O’Leary’s book, ‘Elevator Pitch Essentials’. Follow us on Twitter.