If you have been wearing a short, tight skirt and have had supper at Moe’s or going shopping at Walmart this week, you’ve been spotted. You may also have been spotted at Food Lion or at Good Will.
Short skirts, especially those that are flared can be very attractive almost all figure types. They add width for the tall and thin and detract from hips and thighs for those who need to lose some weight. They can be an essential part of our fashion wardrobes, especially when selected in dark colors that can be paired with many colorful tops, sweaters, blazers, jackets and coats.
But, there is one problem with short flared shirts that keeps showing up over and over again. They tend to be purchased too small and ride up in the back, creating an uneven (and sometimes embarrassing) hemline. If you tend to be slightly overweight or carry most of your weight in your hips and thighs, be very careful when choosing short skirts. They can be a wonderful fashion piece, but can also draw attention to your fashion flaws rather than your fashion style. There are a few simple rules to remember when choosing a short skirt, especially one that is flared or gored for a softer drape.
- Always look at the fabric. If it is a stretch fabric, such as jersey or a Lycra blends, a red caution light should immediately go on.
- Always try on your skirt before purchasing it, even if it is an excellent bargain. Most dressing rooms have long mirrors so that you can check the back of the skirt to see if it hangs evenly. Just from the feel of it as you pull it over your hips; you will have a good idea. It may be snug at the waist, but should never be snug over the hips and buttocks. If there is no long mirror, ask the store clerk. She will be glad to help you and that is exactly what she is being paid to do.
- Move a little I your skirt in the privacy of the dressing room. Try sitting down, bending over to touch your shoe or pick something up off the floor. Remember when bending over in short skirts, never bend from the waist. Squat so that you will not be embarrassed.
- Think of choosing denim or another fabric that is not stretchy. There are many wool and cotton blends that have little or no stretch.
- When in doubt, buy it a little too large rather than a little too tight. Tight clothing has its place, and that is usually on teenagers and TV shows. Generally it is not as attractive on ordinary people, regardless of their size or the clothing style in question. Well fitted, softly draped skirts are a joy to wear and a stylish statement of your good taste. Let it shine through.
If you would like to receive email alerts about fashion sales, bargains, and thrifty finds in Columbia, please click the “Subscribe” button above this article.
Become a friend, a follower or a fan.